Millicent is a town in South Australia, 399 kilometres (248 mi) south-east of Adelaide, and 50 kilometres (31 mi) north of Mount Gambier. At the 2011 Census, the population was 5,024.
The town is home to the Millicent National Trust Museum, Millicent Library & Gallery, Millicent Civic & Arts Centre, the South East Family History Group, and is nearby to the Tantanoola Caves Conservation Park and the Canunda National Park.
Close by is Lake Bonney which is home to South Australia's largest wind turbine farm. Millicent is also home to the man-made lake, Lake McIntyre, a native bird and wildlife reserve.
Millicent was proclaimed in 1870 after a township developed on the limestone ridge in the centre of the newly drained Millicent flats. It is named after Millecent Glen (née Short), wife of one of the early pioneers and daughter of the first Anglican Bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short. The town name was spelt wrong and was originally meant to be called 'Millecent' but a mistake send to the government of the towns name was 'Millicent'
Millicent is also home to a Kimberly Clark Australia paper mill which is located 10 km away from the town; it is the largest employer in the area with approximately 400 employees. The factory produces Kleenex, Cottonelle and Viva product lines for the Australian and some regional overseas markets.
Millicent is also well known for its primary production, which include many varied crops. Pine and blue gum plantation cover large areas. It is also home to the only seaweed harvesting and processing plant in South Australia.
Millicent has only one round-a-bout, one intersection of traffic lights,one radio station and swimming lake. It also has a resident timber sculpture artist whose works are on display.
Millicent is the southern junction of the Princes Highway (B1) and the more coastal Southern Ports Highway (B101). The northern intersection is at Kingston SE. The Princes Highway continues south towards Mount Gambier and into Victoria.
Millicent was on the route of the Rivoli Bay (Beachport) to Mount Gambier railway, constructed in 1879. The railway was shortened to Millicent in 1959, after the section between Millicent and Mount Gambier was converted from narrow to broad gauge in the mid-1950s. It has not been used since the broad gauge was isolated in 1995 (when the main line between Adelaide and Melbourne was converted to standard gauge).
The Millicent Bandits baseball club, comprising both junior and senior teams, are a part of the Mount Gambier and District Baseball League. Bandits baseball club has produced junior players that have competed at state level and also in the national Little League competition.
The Millicent football and netball clubs play in the Western Border Football League. The nickname of the clubs is the Saints, and the teams share the same red, white and black colours as the St Kilda Football Club in the AFL. The town also has strong links with the Mid-South Eastern League, a league made up of teams representing the smaller towns in the district. Many Millicent residents play for teams from the neighbouring towns of Mount Burr (green and gold, the Mozzies), Tantanoola (red and white, the Tigers) and Hatherleigh (blue and gold, the Eagles). The town's basketball team is called the Magic. (colours: silver, red, black). There is a Soccer club in Millicent Called the Millicent United Soccer Club (green, gold).
The Millicent racecourse last held official meetings in the 1960s, but is still used daily by local horse trainers for trackwork gallops.